Types of Fraud
Identity Fraud and Identity Theft
Identity theft is when your personal details are stolen and identity fraud is when those details are used to accomplish fraud.
A-Z of Fraud
To help understand which fraud you have been affected by, we have distinguished them into an alphabetical list.
Some fraudsters rely on the internet to accomplish their crimes. There are various internet frauds are available that results in a big crime.
Individual fraud could be any fraud that targets a person directly.
Corporate fraud can be any fraud committed against a business.
Advance Fee Fraud
Advance fee fraud is when fraudsters target fatality to make advance or beforehand payments for goods, services and/or financial gains that do not emerge.
Facts About Identity Theft Fraud
- Identity theft techniques can range from unsophisticated, such as dumpster diving and mail theft, to more elaborate schemes.
- Technology, mainly the Internet, facilitates more elaborate schemes, such as skimming, phishing, and hacking as criminals gather profiles of potential victims. Computer spyware and viruses, designed to help thieves acquire personal information, are an emerging trend.
- Victims of identity theft or fraud can experience financial loss and difficulty obtaining credit or restoring their “good name”.
- The Canadian Anti-Fraud Centre(CAFC) maintains statistics on the complaints they receive.
- In 2009, the CACF received identity fraud reports from 11,095 Canadian victims, totalling a loss of more than 10 million dollars. This represents an increase of more than 1 million dollars of what was reported in 2008. Payment card fraud was the most commonly reported incident, and yet, many instances of identity theft and fraud go unreported.
How can you find out if your identity was stolen
The best way to find out is to monitor your hard copy or on-line financial accounts frequently and to check your credit report regularly for any unusual activities. If you receive calls from collection agencies about unfamiliar accounts, or if you applied for credit and were unexpectedly turned down, you should explore further.
Who can You contact for advice? | MB Law Ltd Solicitors can help You Regarding This
Please feel free to contact our Team of Regulatory lawyers who specialise in all the above-described matters related to Identity Theft Fraud. Here MB Law Solicitors provide you with experienced solicitors.